Sat - By Appointment
August 5, 2017
Maybe you fell into concrete. Or you were chewing ice or hard candy. When you first realize you have a cracked or broken tooth, it can be a scary time. But don’t worry. Your tooth and your smile can be repaired.
At Gorbatov Dentistry, we see a lot of patients with broken or chipped teeth. Dr. Gorbatov along with our friendly staff knows how to handle this type of situation.
We are able to use restorative and cosmetic procedures to repair damaged teeth. The right treatment for you will depend on how badly your tooth is damaged. But, you do have options, and advancements today mean you don’t have to live with unattractive teeth.
TYPES OF CRACKED TEETH
Several types of cracked teeth exist.
- Craze lines. These are tiny cracks that only affect the outer enamel. Craze lines are common for adults. They are shallow, cause no pain, and are of no concern beyond the way they look.
- Fractured cusp. When a piece of a tooth’s chewing surface breaks off, it’s called a fractured cusp. It usually doesn’t cause much pain.
- Cracked tooth. A cracked tooth means a crack extends from the chewing surface vertically toward the root. Early diagnosis is important in this case to save the tooth. A cracked tooth left untreated will get worse as time goes by and can result in a loss of the tooth. Early treatment is essential in saving cracked teeth.
- Split tooth. A split tooth is usually the result of a long-term cracked tooth. It is identified by a crack with distinct segments that can be separated. A split tooth cannot be saved intact.
- Vertical root fracture. These cracks begin in the root of the tooth and extend toward the chewing surface. Often, they show minimal signs and symptoms. Many times, they are discovered when the surrounding bone and gum become infected.
Here are five procedures that can repair your cracked or broken tooth
Our dentist will determine which of the following treatments is best for you and your mouth.
1 DENTAL BONDING
Composite bonding is a way to repair chipped, cracked, decayed, discolored, misshapen, and gapped teeth. Composite bonding can last up to 10 years. During the procedure, anesthesia won’t be required unless bonding is being used for cavities.
Our dentist will roughen your tooth and put on a conditioning liquid. Putty will be applied, molded, and smoothed. Then, an ultraviolet light is used to harden the composite. When the tooth bonding has dried, it will be shaped and polished to match the rest of the tooth.
Veneers are covers for a tooth. At our dentist office, we use porcelain veneers because they provide the most attractive and realistic results possible.
The veneer is bonded to the front of the tooth, transforming the tooth’s appearance. With good care, veneers can last up to 30 years, so you won’t have to worry about getting it replaced regularly.
You can have veneers placed on one tooth or a few. And it’s up to you how you want your veneer to look. This cosmetic treatment is truly a wonderful option for many people. But, if you grind your teeth, veneers may not be recommended for you because you will wear them down.
How veneers are placed on your tooth
- First, the teeth need to be prepared for veneers. This means a dentist will need to gently remove some of the tooth structure so that the tooth doesn’t look bulky.
- Impressions will need to be taken. At this time, you will have the chance to make decisions about the size, shape, and shade of your veneer.
- The veneers will need to be created in a lab, so you will wear temporary veneers for a while.
- At a later appointment, the temporary veneers will be removed, and the new veneers will be bonded to the front of the tooth.
If your tooth is chipped badly or you have pain when chewing or drinking, you may need a crown. Crowns are one of the most common restorative treatments.
A crown is a cap that covers the tooth and protects in and approves the appearance. It acts as a strong covering for your tooth. When you get a crown, this prevents you from losing your tooth. Without a crown, a damaged tooth won’t be able to withstand the pressure of chewing.
At our dentist office, we use crowns created from tooth-colored porcelain to create a natural, uniform look. Our crowns are created for each patient and made to match your tooth perfectly.
Here’s how crowns are placed on your tooth:
- First, you will be given anesthesia to make the procedure more comfortable. You can also use sedation to relax even more if you want. Our dentist office offers safe, relaxing sedation dentistry.
- Then, they tooth must be prepared. Some tooth structures will likely need to be removed to make room for the crown.
- After the tooth is prepared, the dentist will take impressions, which will be sent to a lab and used to make the permanent crown. A temporary one will be provided in the meantime.
- When the permanent one is ready, it will be cemented to the remaining tooth structure.
4 ROOT CANAL
If you have a crack in your tooth that has extended into the pulp, the tooth can be treated with a root canal. Sometime after the root canal, a crown can be placed to protect the crack from spreading. Until then, you will be given a temporary crown to wear.
Getting a root canal involves clearing out the decayed tooth matter and removing the nerve. This procedure has a bad reputation for being painful. But if it’s done right, you should feel no pain or only minor discomfort.
If you have a toothache, sensitivity, or swelling, you may need a root canal. Left untreated, an infection can spread, causing an abscess, bone loss, and other serious problems.
here’s how root canal therapy works:
- Our office will take x-rays to determine if your tooth is infected.
- Next, you will receive and anesthetic to minimize discomfort. Some patients also want sedation so they remain relaxed during the procedure, and we’re happy to provide safe sedation at out office.
- We will then drill into the tooth and remove the tooth’s pulp and the nerve.
- Then the tooth is sealed to prevent further infection.
- If a tooth’s strength has been compromised, a crown will be placed on top.
The entire therapy will most likely take more than one dental appointment.
5 DENTAL IMPLANT
If you have a crack in your tooth that extends below the gum line, your tooth is no longer treatable, and the tooth won’t be able to be saved. You will need a tooth extraction, which means your tooth will need to be pulled. And then, you can get a dental implant to replace your natural tooth.
Dental implants take the place of your missing teeth. They act as your tooth’s new root and are placed securely in your jawbone for a lasting fit.
Here’s how a dental implant procedure works:
- Biocompatible titanium screws are surgically placed into the jawbone and act as the new root of your tooth.
- Some time will need to pass so the bone fuses with the titanium screws, allowing for a tight, lasting foundation.
- After about 12 to 16 weeks, we will take an impression of your teeth to make sure your treatment is running as it should. During this treatment, our dentist, Dr. Silverman, will customize the abutment and create the dental crown, which will be placed on top of the implant.
- During another appointment, Dr. Silverman will place your permanent crown and ensure a comfortable, secure fit.
If you don’t have enough bone to place dental implants, Dr. Silverman can perform a bone graft procedure.
WHY YOU SHOULD GET YOUR BROKEN OR CRACKED TOOTH EXAMINED IMMEDIATELY
If you think your tooth might be cracked or broken or you know it is, you need to see a dentist right away.
Why? So you can avoid further damage and possible infection. And maybe even save your tooth.
If you have a broken or cracked tooth, come see Gorbatov Dentistry in Hollywood, FL.
At our dentist office, we treat our patients the way we want to be treated. We want to impress you and go beyond your expectations.
Don’t wait! Call (954) 458-9999 today and make an appointment to get your tooth repaired. We’d love to help you achieve a beautiful smile you can be proud of.
Share With Your Friends:
I have been going to Dr Gorbatov at A Center For Dental Excellence for many years now and their use of "Excellence" isn't just a marketing ploy and they definitely...
Entire office & staff is very accommodating and attentive to all your needs. The dentist was very nice and professional and really took the time to explain to me everything...
The dentist fit me in last minute when my normal dentist was unavailable I tried them on the recommendation of a friend after I broke a veneer and had 3...
Very happy with quick service, suggestions & prices. Will be a repeat customer
I have been having a lot of issues with my teeth for quiet some time, including broken molars and bad procedures at other dental facilities. I came to Dr. Gorbatov...
High-level professionals. Thank you, Dr. Gorbatov. I'm going to recommend your clinic to my friends. With best regards!
Very professional office. Good dentist.Clean dental office
Dr. Gorbatov was very thorough and went over all concerns I had (I'm not really a fan of the dentist). He is definitely the nicest Dentist I have ever been...
Thank you Dr. Gorbatov for the great experience, your gentle touch and quality work you have done on my teeth. I have been very pleased with your professional, yet personable...
I had been looking for a dentist for a few months and I was referred to Dr. Gorbatov and I can certainly see why. I've always been a little skeptical...
Absolutely amazing. Jess and Jessica at the front made me feel so comfortable and helped me conquer my fear of the dentist. The office is clean and welcoming I completely...
This is the Best Dental Office I ever was. Great personality, gentle touch and perfectionism in all aspects of cosmetic dentistry. Thank you Dr. Gorbatov for creating Smile I always...
I had a procedure done by Dr. Gorbatov, it was amazing, I didn't feel anything, he has very gentle hands and techniques and I didn't even feel the shot! I...
Wonderful facility and staff, very professional.
(Sunny Isles, FL)
I've been looking for a good dentist since So. FL lacks them. Not anymore, great professional services, and best of all, you will find a personal touch. You will truly...
I switched my dentist because i was dissatisfied with their service and decided to go to Dr.Gorbotov's office for my wisdom tooth extraction. I never thought I would see the...
Everyone in the office is super amazingly fantastic! They're informative and understanding. Dr. Gorbatov has done great work on my teeth! The dental hygienist has been a charm, makes every...
Love Dr. Gorbatov! He is skilled, professional, thorough, nice, and always keeps me comfortable. The assistants and office staff are great too. I highly recommend Dr. Gorbatov!
For me, dental work always came with the presumption of pain and discomfort. That's why it was always very difficult to get any recommended work done, because all I'd have...
Very professional nice staff great service.
Dr. Gorbatov is an excellent dentist. I went to several other dentist and they all wanted to do a root canal, but Dr. Gorbatov was able to save my tooth....
I had a great experience with Dr. Dmitry Gorbatov. He was able to save my tooth from getting a root canal. All the staff was really nice, and attentive. I...
I have lived and worked all over North America. One of the greatest challenges of relocating is finding the best dental practice. "Center For Dental Excellence" was recommended to me...
Excellent service , friendly & professional !!!
I feel I have the best care possible under Dr. Gorbatov and his team. His work is top quality and because of him I know my teeth and the health...
This is the best dentist in the world who really cares about each and every patient and makes your smile look perfect! After visiting the new office you will be...
This is IT!!!! As good as it gets!!! If you want a celebrity smile call his number.
Thank you personally and from the bottom of my heart for the kindness and consideration you showed my mom, Catherine the other day! 😊